Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Monday: Ignace to Wawa

I left Ignace under sunny warm skies at about quarter to ten. I had hoped to leave earlier, as I had a long day ahead of me on the road, but the fresh northern air kept me sleeping late like a baby.

The road still taking me further north-east, towards Thunder Bay, I saw a small brown hawk circling, with white bands on wings and tail. Lots of truck traffic on this stretch, so I hung back and gave everybody lots of room. It was going to be a long day for me, so may as well drive low-stress.

I kept seeing signs for some museum in Thunder bay, saying “Welcome to the Past”. Kind of sspooky, as I am going back to where I come from,but also welcoming.

I stopped briefly in Thunder Bay, for gas, coffe and a take-out sandwich, and carried on. I found myself north of Thunder Bay, and still heading north! Lake Supeior looking very scenic over to the left, but the road long and curvy, with drop off's over the side. Not the easiest drive. I kept thinking of my friends who travelled to Xilitla with us, and I could relate to their anxiety.
Nipigon was the furthest point north for me on this drive. I stopped at the tourist office to use the facilities and eat my sandwich. An Ontario woman shouted to me, “Hey BC Plates! Welcome to Ontario!” It made me smile to be so welcomed, as if a stranger.

The CBC has kept me company off and on throughout this trip. Some places you can't receive any radio signal at all, and my CD's have also been good company.

I was somewhere between Marathon and White River, when I realized I have the coolest car! Definitely a guy-magnet, and she has driven beautifully- like she was made for the open road and notheing else! She needs a good bath, as right now she has over half a country's worth of road dust, rain and bugs adorning her- what a warrioress! Tawanda!

It was a long stretch to Wawa, but most of the big trucks had left the road to head north, at Nipigon, and the curves weren't quite as needful of all my attention. I missed the Goose; apparently I drove right past it. I was looking for it, too! And I had been so looking forward to stopping and taking a picture of it for this journal. Oh well. Now my story is that I went to Wawa, but I missed the goose!

I expect to land at the cottage, outside Parry Sound, sometime this evening. The water pump is broken, so there is now running water there. Welcome home, indeed! But I know there is lots of love waitng for me there, and many new friends to meet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home