Monday, June 12, 2006

Friday: Weyburn SK to Neepawa MB

Got lost getting out of Weyburn. Luckily I had absconded with the free tourist guide, which included a map of the city. On My CAA map, three hiways come together. I came in on # 39, but I was leaving on #13, east. I finally got myself sorted out, and was on my was around 11:30. Late start due to fatigue and yes, I have a cold, gas up, and hit Tim's drive through. It was still cold, and light rain.

Driving across Saskatchewan, you have lots of time to ponder the important questions, such as, did I remember to put deodorant on thie morning? And also, do birds grieve? East of Weyburn is cattle country, and the traffic was light.

Closer to the Manitoba border, there's an area with little oil wells, and then, right at the border, suddenly, there are trees! And the road gets better across the provincial line. I kept seeing these large-ish clumps on the road, and I couldn't figutre out what they were, but finally it dawned on this city gal, that what I was seeing was clumps of field mud, deposited by farm equipment! D'uh.

SK 13 became MB2, and the rain finally let up in Manitoba, around 1:30. The roads are long and straight, and there's a lot of sky here. At Hwy 10, I turned north to go through Brandon, at rush-hour then east again to go into Neepawa.

I stopped in a pretty little town named Souris for lunch, and checked out real estate prices. You can get a cute, litle house for about sixty thou there.

Gassed up in Brandon at 1.08, and pulled into Neepawa around 6:00, central time. I'm here on a pilgrimmage to the birthplace of Margaret Laurence. I had dinner at the chicken joint, and walked the streets. Friday night teenagers, drunk and disorderly, kids riding bikes, and women walking dogs. I sense all the undercurrents of the town Margaret Laurence grew up in, are still all here, just under the surface, probably as they are in all small towns, all over the world, but Ms Laurence brought this world to the page so believably and richly. This morning after breakfast, I am going to her original home here, now a museum. Then I'm heading for Thunder Bay on the Trans Canada. Me ane all the trucks. The rain seems to have let up, thankfully, and I look forward to a quiet day on the road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home