Monday, June 12, 2006

Saturday: Ignace, Ontario

Gracias, Senora, for bringing me to this respite, this retreat from the road. Tonight I feel like I never want to leave here. It's a beautiful lake, the one in front of me, even if unfamiliar, and thank you for the blue skies and sunshine on this northern road. I feel the peace of this place, and the quiet in my heart.

It was a long gruel of a drive today. I find it hard to stop once I get going. I only stopped today for gas and potty breaks, picking up food and drinks as I went. I got a late start from Neepawa this morning, as I wanted to spend as much time as I needed at the Margaret Laurence Museum there. It was very inspirational, and I was able to offer encouragement and the AWA writing resource to the young woman tour guide. I was lucky to have the entire place to myself, for an hour this morning. And I wanted to spend more time at the coffee shop in the Oddfellows Lodge, it was full of middle aged and older women, who all seemed bright and interesting. No time. I could have stopped there for another hour, but the road was calling me. And I'm glad I listened, because had I lingered there, I wouldn't have seen the sunset here.

The land changes suddenly and dramatically. East of Winnipeg, you start seeing more and more trees, and when you cross into Ontario, you are walled in. As Sandy said, trees and trees and trees and rocks and trees and trees and trees and rocks and trees and trees and trees and rocks and water! That is all I've seen, so far in Ontario. I have never been this far north in my life, and hope to see northern lights tonight, but if they're out, I'll probably be sleeping and miss them. There's another chance tomorrow night, when I hope to be in Wawa. Then the cottage the night after that. I may take an extra day somewhere, if I find a place I want to stay, but after four days on the road I am really starting to want to be there.

The traffic is heavier this part of the road, lots of trucks coming at me, but not many passing me. I seem to have had my own little pocket, from Dryden to here. Drove through Kenora, and it's a busy thriving downtown, but I didn't take time to stop. I'd be surprised if I wasn't back this way sometime. I'm falling in love with Canada. I could easily spend a summer here writing.

Corragio! Avanti!
Courage! Forward!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home