Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Grand Forks to Fort Macleod, via Nelson

Decided to make a detour, and check out Nelson, as I've heard so many good things about it. Started off from Grand Forks around 8:30, and arrived in Nelson for coffee at 10:30. Had a good leg stretch up and down the vibrant, lively main street, and then headed north to take the FREE BC FERRY from Balfour to Kootenay Bay. So glad I saw thst article in the Globe and Mail this week, as the lake is beautiful, One of the loveliest places I've seen in Canada. It made me wonder what this land might have been like before the Europeans discovered it and started leaving footprints all over it. And then the drive down the east side of the lake to Creston twisty, and pretty, pretty, pretty. More coffee in Creston, gas in Cranbrook, more coffee in spectacular Fernie.

The Rocky Mountains are huge, magical, deep, daunting. I was totally ready for them to be over long before they were. I can't imagine being the first people to cut trails, settle, and lay roads through this region. It just goes on and on and on.

Finally out of the Rockies, and into Alberta: rain squalls, wind, lightening, ominous, yet graceful wind generators, and lost an hour in the new time zone.

Drove through the Frank slide area: unbelievable. I had to keep picking my jaw up from the floor of the car. I know nothing of the history of this event, but the amount of rock laying around is massive. It looks like it just happened last year, but it could have been anytime in the past few hundred years.

Belinda Beamer has been a champion, she got me safely, and if I may say so, stylishly, through the grueling rockies. The rest should be easy. Glad I got new tires on the back, especially if this pouring rain keeps up tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home