Monday, June 12, 2006

Canada: It's a Big Country

Thursday

Left Fort Macleod around 9:45, in the rain, heading for Weyburn Saskatchewan. After reviewing the maps last night, I decided to bypass Regina, and take the scenic drive down hwy 39 from Moose Jaw. Then the next day swing up through Brandon to make a pilgrimage to Neepawa, birthplace of Margaret Laurence, and incidentally, another designated scenic route.

Driving across Alberta, and Saskatchewan, leaves a lot of time for thinking. I thought about Michelle, and our road trip to Calgary a few years ago; how I miss the fun of our sing-alongs! And Rich, who I drove with most recently, from San Miguel to Austin. Driving through the Rockies reminded me of the road to Xilitla, and his confessions of being worried about breaking down in the 104 degree heat, were bizarrley mirrored in my low grade concerns about break-downs in the 12 degree celcius, rain and gusty wind.

Also lots of time for browsing through the old boyfriend files, and the might have beens, too. Isn't that what long road trips are all about? Caught some great radio in Alberta and into Saskatchewan, CKUA, public radio with fabulous music (also available on-line).

At 1:30, I crossed the provincial border, and the only noticable differnce was that the road in SK was terrible. I think they're upgrading it, but there was nobody working on it yesterday! It was about an hour after that that ranchland started giving way to fields.I saw an elk, far in the distance, on a knoll, and my old companion the blue heron made an appearance again today. Also, a small flock of white swans flying low over a field.

I always see fields of golden wheat, when i think of SK, but here the fields are green and newly planted, and all the farmers are happy for the rain. I eat bread, so how can I legitimately complain? But illigitimately, the rain is awful- non-stop and messy.

Trains, long long trains, as the road follows the tracks across the land It's all wide open here. Once you get past Swift Current, it's all fields. The day was dark and long, and I passed a serious accident going through Moose Jaw. The emergency vehicles hadn't arrived yet, and there are several lives that will never be the same now.

Later, on # 39, my car hit a bird. I hate that, it got caught in the current between an oncoming truck and me. I said prayers for all of us, the truck driver, myself and the bird, and the bird's family, now missing an important member. I meditated on the interconnectedness of life and death, the karmic bonds and agreements we have to show up for each other in all of lifes passings. I hope the bird's family can adjust, and the death not ripple through.

My neck is very sore today, and I'm planning an easy day up to Neepawa, and maybe to Portage la Prairie, if I have enough energy. It's still raining. I hope I can drive out of it, as it's makes for tiresome driving Adios, Jacquie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home